8/16/08

Nick & Natalie and the Wall of Jericho



Do you ever feel like your worries in life are so trivial? Do you ever feel so overwhelmed with thankfulness that your child's worst issues are tantrums in the middle of walmart? Yeah, me too. I want to share with those of you that read my blog about Nick Nischan. Nick is the 13 year old son of one of my professor's from college, Dr. Tim Nischan and his wife Tammy. I went to a small Christian College (which I highly recommend to ANYONE!) I had this professor for Accounting and by the skin of my teeth, I ended up passing. :) We weren't particularly close as I was with other professors and their families but he was and is a caring Christian man who takes his teaching and leading of young adults seriously. His family has had heartache in their lives including losing his 6-week old daughter to SIDS in 1992. He also would be the first to say that he has had so many blessing in his life including his 5 children, one of which they adopted from India. However, right now their family is going through a battle with their son Nick who has been battling cancer for the last 6 years. To my best understanding, he has had some periods of relief but for the past year his poor little body has been continuously under attack by one brain tumor after another and now he has cancer in both of his legs (in addition to some other tumors) and has recently broken his hip due to this. Nick needs a miracle and I serve a God who is in the business of making those happen. I know that many of my readers do too. (If you don't, feel free to let me know I and would be happy to fill you in. :)

This brings me to the Wall of Jericho. Beginning on Monday, August 18th, many people will be joining in a march in efforts to remind Satan, the creator of death and awful things like cancer, that we serve a risen God who yes, allows these awful things to happen in our lives, because otherwise we wouldn't have a choice in choosing to love and follow him, but who also is much, much stronger than any little cancer cell--or big ones for that matter! This involves 7 days of "marching" and praying specifically about Nick and his situation. In typical unselfish fashion for the Nischan's, they have joined in an effort with a little girl named Natalie who also is struggling with cancer for this march as well. This way, those who know about Nick, and those who know about Natalie will be covering both in prayer. If you would like to join in the march, please take a look at Tammy's blog found here http://tammynischan.blogspot.com/ . If you know you won't be able to, please take a moment right now and pray for Nick and Natalie and for those who will be Marching against Satan and his forces that come to kill, steal and destroy.

Its crazy how you know before you have a baby that you just can't imagine what it would be like to have one until you have that little amazing creature. And then after you have the baby its hits you so fully how you just didn't have a clue. I truly didn't have a grasp on how that would mean the thought of your child being sick with something awful could make you instantly disolve into tears. My heart goes out to the Nischan's and to Natalie's family. I know many of you know people who have had children walk through this awful disease called cancer and some of you have gone on this journey first hand. No matter where you are in life, pray. Our father loves to hear the prayers of his children and listens and answers them. He has Nick and Natalie in his lap, loving on them like only a Father can do. His heart is broken over their pain. His words in Psalm 121 are still as true today as they were when they were written, "The Sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night. The Lord will keep you from all harm, he will watch over your life, The Lord will watch over your coming and going for both now and forever more!" I can't wait to see the walls crumble! PRAY!

3 comments:

debi9kids said...

Oh wow! How horrific for this family and poor Nick.
I will definitely check out their blog and will also pass it along to my friend jess who's little girl was just recently diagnosed with cancer too :(

Bonnelle Pagel said...

I am a friend of Tammy's. I met her this summer at the She Speaks conference in Charlotte...

I just wanted to say that this was an amazing post and I hear your heart in your words too. Thanks for posting this and for standing with them too.

Marching together...

Bonnelle Pagel

Bonnelle Pagel said...

P.S. Your little girl is beautiful & super adorable by the way!!! =)